Sunday, September 18, 2011

What song should I sing to audition for the part of Belle from Beauty and the Beast?

I'm a mid-range alto, but we have have to prepare a song to sing to audition.


And I have no clue what to do.


Help?|||I suggest something from Anastasia. A lot of people will probably be auditioning with disney songs, but something from what is called non/disney would still be in the right theme but not overdone. If I were you, I would do journey to the past.


Some other non/disney movies are


quest for Camelot


thumbelina


Prince of Egypt (not sure if it's a musical though)|||Belle is a mezzo-soprano role. She has a wide range, down from an E3 (E below Middle C) up to an F5 (F above Middle C). If you're an alto, you probably can't reach the higher notes very well so you may want to consider auditioning for another part.





But if you still want to audition for Belle, make sure you sing something that really shows off your range and personality because almost every girl will be auditioning for the same part. Disney songs would obviously be a good choice, but a lot of them are very overdone. Don't sing "Part of Your World" or "Reflection" - you will drive the casting directors insane! I think a good song to do could be "Just Around The Riverbend" from Pocahontas.|||A song from a different Disney movie or musical may work. For your range, you could probably do a great 'Reflection' from Mulan. Or maybe 'God Help the Outcasts' from Hunchback of Notre Dame. Or 'Once Upon a Dream' from Sleeping Beauty.





If you just was to stick with Musical songs, I think these would work for your range:


I Enjoy Being a Girl (Flower Drum Song)


Diamonds Are a Girls Best Friend (Gentlemen Prefer Blonds)


Sixteen Going on Seventeen (Sound of Music)


My Own Little Corner (Cinderella)


Simple Joys of Maidenhood (Camelot)


Maybe This Time (Cabaret)


Stepsisters Lament (Cinderella)


Unexpected Song (Song %26amp; Dance)





These are a few I could think of off the top of my head. I've sang a few of them, and I'm a mezzo-soprano, but these were fairly low for me, so I hope they work for you!


I love A Change in Me and Home from Beauty and the Beast. Seeing as they're slower, very powerful songs, I would suggest Unexpected Song or Maybe This Time. But if you're going for a sweet, more Disney-esque song, you should do Once Upon A Dream.


Hope I could help and good luck!|||Well any Disney song would be perfect. Or anything from Les Miserables is always good to show off range. Personally I would choose a song that I know very well and shows off the vocal and emotional range of Belle.|||Why not sing "Til There was You"?

No comments:

Post a Comment